Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy to Be Nappy (Controversial)


The book Happy to be Nappy by Bell Hooks and Chris Raschka is a book that shows how little girls with black girl can have beautiful hair also. It goes through the different ways that black girls wear their hair. I liked how the book seems to be written by a little girl in cursive handwriting. I am not sure how I would feel if I was black though. The fact that their is a book that tells them that their hair is beautiful no matter how they wear it seems to be a bit much. I think it would be different if they had a book talking about all different peoples' hair types and then they mentioned about the different ways that black people wear their hair. I like how the book has simple but fun illustrations with the different shades and types of color highlighting behind the girls' hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment